Minutes of April 14, 2016 Toastmasters Executive Board Meeting of Metropolitan 1696 and Speak Up & Out 2509
Club president Frank Mayers conducted the meeting, which was convened at Leonetti’s Bar at 8:30 pm.
Club Officers in attendance: Kirby Johnson, Will Hommeyer, Stuart Chastain, Bill Alexsaht, Craig Ostrem, Pat Cudinski
Also in attendance: Jolanta Young
- Frank announced that Kirby Johnson would head the nominating committee. The election of new officers needs to take place before the end of May. Anyone who might be interested in one of the club officer positions should contact Kirby.
- There were two discussions during the meeting about increasing membership. As an alternative to Speech Craft, Will asked if we should consider setting aside specific meetings to focus on guests and new members. Member retention was also discussed, but no proposals or motions were made. Later in the meeting, Frank suggested we not have Speech Craft until next fall, since many people have erratic schedules during the summer. Frank’s suggestion was approved by consensus. Before June 30th, Metropolitan needs at least 3 new members (in addition to the new member that joined at the April 14th Toastmasters meeting), and Speak Up & Out needs at least 3 new members.
- Toastmaster of the Year: Each club has the option of choosing a candidate – let Frank know of nominations.
- More mentors are needed – anyone who is interested in being a mentor please contact Laura Bathke or Frank.
- Members are reminded and encouraged to reply to Laura’s latest email about the new meeting role schedule.
- Treasurer’s report: Kirby reported that Metropolitan and Speak Up & Out have funds in their bank accounts that will be sufficient for club activities in the foreseeable future. Club members may contact Kirby for details on account balances. Given our clubs’ bank account balances and the announced increase in Toastmaster International dues, Frank asked if we should waive the club-portion of dues ($1 per month) for new members. Will moved that we do this, and the motion was seconded. During discussion, the motion was revised/defined as follows:
“For all new members who join between October 1, 2016 and October 1, 2017, their club portion of dues ($1 per month) will be waived. Members renewing their membership during this period will pay their club portion of dues.”
The motion passed unanimously.
- Rondo Community Library has been notified that we won’t be using their building for Toastmasters meetings.
Meeting was adjourned.
Minutes were recorded by club Secretary, Stuart Chastain.